Christmastime is here… happiness and cheer… fun for all the children call their favorite time of year…
But not for everyone. Christmas should be a time of gathering with family and friends, sharing meals and stories and lots of love, and most of all – celebrating the birth of Our Lord.But all that can be lost in the shuffle. We’re pressured to buy the perfect gift, bake the prettiest cookies, dress our families up for cutesy Christmas cards, take the dog to see Santa, and so much more. How are we supposed to sit in our jammies, drink cocoa, and watch A Charlie Brown Christmas when there’s so much to do!
Here are a few tips to help you keep your calm amidst the chaos:
- 1. Take long walks – without your phone!
- 2. Deep breathing exercises. They DO work.
- 3. Simplify your shopping list. Does your family need so many gifts?
- 4. Bake what you like, buy the rest. Does your boss or your spouse’s admin assistant really need homemade ginger crinkles? A small box of Godiva goes a long way!
- 5. Send New Year’s Cards. Address them after the bustle of Christmas is over. We all expect the mail to be late anyway.
- 6. Cry. Let it all out. It’s a cathartic release.
- 7. Pray. Pray. Pray. The Rosary is a beautiful meditation and can calm the most turbulent of hearts.
If you feel you need to talk to someone, call 211 in Maryland any time day or night.
Have a HAPPY Christmas!